Training Pathway for Mindfulness Teachers, Trainers and Supervisors
Mindfulness Teacher – Someone who teaches 8-week Mindfulness courses.
Mindfulness Trainer – Someone who teaches people to be Mindfulness Teachers.
Mindfulness Supervisor – Someone who supervises Mindfulness teachers and practitioners.
Mindfulness Trainer of Trainers – Someone who trains others to become a Mindfulness Trainer.
Prospective Mindfulness Teachers will have:
- A professional qualification relevant to the client group(s) they will be teaching.
- Completed an 8-week Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy or Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Course.
- At least one year of ongoing daily personal practice.
- Personal practice means, ideally, a formal practice of ½ hour, 6 days per week (or more), or a minimum of 20 minutes at least 4 days per week.
- Regular support/supervision.
It is recommended that prospective Mindfulness Teachers attend a residential training to deepen practice both before attending a Teacher Development Training and regularly thereafter.
Mindfulness Teachers will have:
- All the requirements of a Prospective Mindfulness Teacher.
- Attended a Teacher Development Training.
- An ongoing daily personal practice.
- Continuing professional development, including keeping up to date with the research and other literature.
Mindfulness Trainers will :
- Have all the requirements of a Mindfulness Teacher.
- Attend at least one residential training to deepen practice annually.
- Have taught at least 9 Mindfulness courses – at least 5 of those being with patients or the client group with whom they work.
- Participated in teaching a 4-day Teacher Development Training alongside a Trainer of Trainers.
Mindfulness Supervisors will have:
- All the requirements of a Mindfulness Teacher.
- Have taught at least 9 Mindfulness courses – at least 5 of those being with clients.
- Fulfilled the supervision requirements of their own profession.
- Preferably attended the Mindfulness Specialist Supervision 2-day course.
A Mindfulness Supervisor may also be a Mindfulness Trainer and, if so, will have the completed the requirements to be so.
Mindfulness Trainer of Trainers will have fulfilled the requirements of Mindfulness Teachers, Supervisors and Trainers as well as taught at least 3 Teacher Development 4-Day Courses.